The German Excellence Initiative will be continued as an Excellence Strategy as from 2019. Kiel University has been successful with two proposals:
- After two successful funding phases, the Cluster of Excellence "Inflammation at Interfaces" has been successful with a full application for the cluster “Precision Medicine in Chronic Inflammation” (PMI). The newly-approved PMI will put scientific advances into practice for patients with chronic inflammatory diseases, by enabling faster diagnoses and the planning of personalised treatment.
- "ROOTS - Societal, Environmental and Cultural Connectivity in Past Societies" aims to explore the roots of social, environmental, and cultural phenomena and processes that substantially marked past human development in a broad interdisciplinary conceptual framework. Archaeological and historical ‘laboratories’ will be investigated under the basic assumption that humans and environments have deeply shaped each other, creating socio-environmental connectivities which still persist today. A better understanding of interwoven past socio-environmental dynamics will shed light on the ‘roots’ of current challenges and crises under diverse economic, ecological, and social conditions.
In December 2018 the CAU submitted its application to become a "University of Excellence" under the title of "Kiel University Interfaces".
Research and Priortity research area news
With the German Excellence Strategy, the DFG and the Wissenschaftsrat (Council of Science and Humanities) are building on the Excellence Initiative started in 2005. The fundamental objective of the Strategy is sustainable strengthening of Germany as a science location, and improving its international competitiveness.
Based on the administrative agreement reached with the federal and state governments on 16 June 2016, the DFG and the Council of Science and Humanities jointly carry out the Excellence Strategy in two funding lines:
- Clusters of Excellence for project-based funding of internationally-competitive research fields, for universities or university groups. This funding line is coordinated by the DFG.
- Universities of Excellence for permanent funding of universities, and enhancing their international leading role in research on the basis of successful Clusters of Excellence. The prerequisite for applying to become a University of Excellence is the approval of at least two Clusters of Excellence. The development and implementation of the process for the Universities of Excellence funding line is coordinated by the Council of Science and Humanities.
- More about the Excellence Strategy from the Joint Science Conference (GWK)
- More about the Excellence Strategy from the German Research Foundation (DFG)
- More about the Excellence Strategy from the German Council of Science and Humanities
- Timetable for the Excellence Strategy (PDF)