Every year, KiNSIS funds up to four research stays at an institution abroad with 2,000 euro each. The aim is to strengthen the mobility of young researchers, their visibility and their personal network in the scientific community. The funds must be spent within one year. The grant recipients present their scientific work relating to the research stay in the form of a presentation during a KiNSIS event such as a retreat, members' meeting etc.
- Application deadline: 01 March of each year
- Announcement of the decision: April of each year
- End of funding: 01 May of the following year
Who can apply:
- Postdoctoral researchers with a fixed-term employment contract or a W1 professorship without tenure track in one of the KiNSIS' research areas
- In order to use the funding, the applicant must currently be employed by Kiel University or a partner institution, or be a fellow there.
- Applicants who have already received a Research Stay Grant cannot apply again.
The application documents should be submitted in English (Arial typeface, font size 11) and include the following:
- Letter of motivation, reference to KiNSIS' core research topics, work plan, budget plan and references. Please use this template (Word document).
- Curriculum vitae (max. of 2 A4 pages)
- Letter of Intention from the institution where the research stay is to be completed
Objectives and criteria:
The motivation letter should indicate how the funds will support at least three of the following points:
- Interdisciplinary research
- Enhancing the applicant's individual research profile
- Extension of the national and international scientific network and joint cooperation
- Increasing the scientific visibility in the peer group through contributions to national or international conferences or workshops
- Expansion of international scientific work experience
- Preparation of international publications (peer-reviewed)
- Expansion of future research areas and cooperation partners
The KiNSIS Board will decide on the award of the Research Stay Grants based on the above criteria.
The call for KiNSIS Research Stay Grants 2024 is expected to be published towards the end of 2023.
For the cover letter, please use this template (Word document).
Send all documents including a summary as one PDF file (< 10 MB) with 'Application Research Stay Grant' in the subject line to email@example.com.