Dear members of Kiel University,
We would like to inform you about further changes to university operations in light of the current corona situation.
The University Board and the faculties are still generally holding on to face-to-face teaching. Considering the current infection rates, however, the Deans of the faculties may decide to convert some lectures to online formats. This will happen on a temporary basis only. Within the faculties, this decision can be delegated to the heads of the institutes, but not to individual lecturers. In their decision-making process, the faculties must ensure that our students are still able to conduct their studies properly. The University Board and the faculties will jointly review the situation in the week before Christmas at the latest, and decide what to do about teaching as from January 2022.
The University Board has also decided to adjust the hygiene concepts and the framework conditions in place for on-site studying as follows:
- The validity of negative lateral flow tests for admission to teaching events and examinations will be set throughout at 24 hours, effective immediately.
- Masks must be worn (surgical or FFP2 masks) at all teaching events. Exceptions only apply for lecturers if the minimum social distance to other participants can be maintained, as well as for special teaching formats in which it is not possible to wear a mask, e.g. practical sports classes.
- The obligation to wear face masks applies with immediate effect at student workspaces in libraries, foyers and classrooms which are used to work and spend time in.
Please also take note of the additional changes based on the regulation to combat the coronavirus (Corona-BekämpfVO) of the state of Schleswig-Holstein which came into effect on Monday: www.schleswig-holstein.de/DE/Schwerpunkte/Coronavirus/Erlasse/2021/211120_Corona-BekaempfungsVO.html.
- The 3G rule also applies for entering the libraries with immediate effect: A negative lateral flow test not older than 24 hours and performed by an official testing centre (e.g. public testing centres) must be presented.
- The 2G rule applies with immediate effect for non-curricular or non-teaching events. We adapted the checklist to set-up hygiene concepts. The form is available on www.uni-kiel.de/de/coronavirus/rahmenhygienekonzept#c60656.
Facilitating Christmas parties and other primarily social events in university rooms or at other external locations during working hours is currently not permitted.
Please behave considerately and responsibly, both on campus and in your private lives. Please use the Corona-Warn-App. In the event that you have a lab-confirmed infection, please follow the updated instructions on the CAU’s reporting process for students and the CAU’s reporting process for employees.
With kind regards,