EU provides European University of the Seas (SEA-EU) with funding for a further four years totalling 14.4 million euros

  • 1.87 million euros from this goes to Kiel University (CAU)

  • University alliance SEA-EU grows from six to nine universities

  • Alliance makes it easy for its 150,000 students and 18,000 employees to exchange ideas and strengthens international cooperation

Joint research, teaching and exchange between nine European universities at coastal locations: the European Commission is excited about the project and is therefore funding the university alliance SEA-EU for a further four years. In the assessment, the project scored 90 of 100 possible points, considerably more than the required minimum point score of 70. This meant that all nine partners received the 14.4 million euros they applied for from the EU. Of this total amount, Kiel University will receive 1.87 million euros.

“The second funding phase for SEA-EU offers Kiel University the great opportunity to strategically push ahead with our internationalisation in a strong alliance,” said CAU President Professor Dr Simone Fulda, adding that: “With our partners we can establish innovative formats for cooperation and mobility in research, teaching and transfer and by doing so further expand the European Education and Research Area together.”


“I also regard SEA-EU as a very strong catalyst for our further internationalisation,” said Dr Martina Schmode, Director of the International Center at Kiel University. “And I am delighted that we can include completely new fields in the focus on international cooperation. Examples of this include sustainable campus development and environmentally-friendly international mobility as well as joint further development of science communication.”

Dr Jonathan Durgadoo, project coordinator for SEA-EU at Kiel University, adds that: “Whether you are a student or a member of staff, there is something for everyone at SEA-EU. People can easily travel between and study at the universities without having a go through a lot of red tape.” In addition to traditional teaching and study visits and joint research, there are language courses, job shadowing and sports events, to name just a few examples of joint projects, said Durgadoo.

Like all the other partners, Kiel University takes on a leading role in certain areas of the alliance. Among other things, it is managing a project that aims to improve career prospects of young researchers within and outside of universities.

SEA-EU continues to grow

Since 2019 the alliance has comprised six universities: the University of Cádiz, which coordinates the alliance, the University of Western Brittany (France), Kiel University, the University of Gdańsk (Poland), the University of Split (Croatia) and the University of Malta. With the second project phase now approved, three more partners are part of the network: the University of Naples Parthenope (Italy), the University of Algarve (Faro, Portugal) and Nord University (Bodø, Norway). The funding from the EU Commission covers 80 percent of the total costs of SEA-EU. The remaining 20 percent is financed by the nine members.

Together the nine partners form an interdisciplinary, inter-university, multi-ethnic and multilingual university campus. Close cooperation with European partners makes it possible for the universities to push ahead with the international development of technologies, strategies and models. In this way, important contributions can be made to finding solutions to major social, global challenges of our time. The UN Sustainable Development Goals, which the alliance regards as being in line with European values, are an important guide in this respect.

more information about sea-eu

Contact (SEA-EU at CAU):

Dr Martina Schmode
Head of the International Center at CAU

Dr Jonathan Durgadoo
Head of Project Office & Coordinator

Press contact:

Press, Communication and Marketing Services
Department for Press, Digital and Science Communication