The 6 storey new building unites a number of different uses by the CAU Animal Facility and the Institute of Physiology under one roof. In addition to offices, research rooms and common rooms, the building also has seminar and practical rooms, measurement facilities for physiological experiments on test subjects, workshops, storage and equipment rooms.
The U-shaped building meets the high demands of the location in combining various users, protection of historic buildings, networking with the University campus grounds and site decontamination.
With its multi folded gable roof, clearly structured facade construction of rear-ventilated fibre-glass-reinforced concrete panels with horizontal window elements, the formation of a sheltered interior courtyard and the attractive entrance to the Institute of Physiology and the CAU Animal Facility which is cut into the building, the volume of this building creates a new presence on the University campus.
The new building, with its animated roof shape, is visually interconnected and invigorated in its asymmetrical shape by the organisation of repetitive horizontal window formats. The parts that are dedicated to teaching and thus more public spaces can be identified by the large glass areas in the facade.
A physiologist, doctor and marine biologist, Hensen was a pioneer of what were in his day the fledgling natural sciences. He introduced the term "plankton". Höber studied medicine, inter alia, in Kiel. After his doctorate in 1859 he taught at Kiel University, initially as a prosector and from 1864 to 1911 as professor of physiology. Victor Hensen's work in marine biology was the basis for the later establishment of the chair in planktology in Kiel.
The studied physician became research associate at Kiel University in 1909, where he was appointed Professor of Physiology in 1915. Previously, he had attracted the attention of his expert colleagues with his book "Physical chemistry of cells and tissues". In this publication, he undertook the attempt to trace biological phenomena back to physiochemical phenomena, and to analyze them. From 1930 to 1931 he was rector of Kiel University. Shortly thereafter, in 1933, the scientist is forced to retire due to his Jewish descent. He emigrates via England to the USA.