Kiel University combines tasks that are not specific to a particular subject into the central units. These are directly subordinate to the University Board.
The university has a number of affiliated, independent institutes which are dedicated to research and/or teaching and which, in accordance with Section 35 of the Higher Education Act (HSG), assume the status of a university institute.
- Institute for Inclusive Education
- Institute for Security Policy
- Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW)
- Leibniz Institute for Science and Mathematics Education (IPN)
- ZBW – Leibniz Information Centre for Economics
- Lorenz-von-Stein-Institute for Administrative Sciences
- Schleswig-Holstein State Museums Foundation Schloss Gottorf
- Archaeological Museum Schloss Gottorf
- Museum of Art and Cultural History Schloss Gottorf
Viking Museum Haithabu
Open-Air Museum Molfsee - State Museum for Ethnology
Jewish Museum in Rendsburg
Ornamental Cast Iron Museum Büdelsdorf