The central administration is subdivided into offices and three service centres, each containing three departments. The members of the University Board share the responsibility for the individuals departments and divisions. The chancellor takes on the responsibility for staff.
- The Central Office for Gender Equality, Equal Opportunity and Family represents the areas of Gender Equality, Equal Opportunity, Mentoring, GenderConsulting, Family Service and the Welcome Service for new appointees in particular.
- Internal Auditing supports the University Board in carrying out its tasks, by process-independent and objective auditing activities and advisory services.
- The Management of the University Board organises the University Board’s and the university’s central committee’s schedules and processes. It is also responsible for fundraising as well as internal matters and appointments for the Central Administration:
- Press, Communication and Marketing Services assists the University Board by externally representing the university and by developing and implementing strategies for communication.
- The Animal Welfare Officer's unit advises and monitors scientists in the execution of animal experiments and ensures compliance with regulations in the interest of animal welfare.
- The Central Unit: Safety Engineering advises and supports supervisors, managers and employees at the CAU in matters related to occupational safety.
- The Continuing Professional Development Centre supports members of the university and other institutes with professional academic qualifications and personal career development.
- The representative for radiation safety advises and supports supervisors, managers and employees at the CAU on dealing with radiation.
- The Diversity and Anti-Discrimination Unit supports the Presidential Board in taking into account and promoting the diversity of the University's members. Anti-discrimination counselling is also located here.
Department International Affairs / International Center
Head: Dr. Martina Schmode
- International university relations, guest houses for international scholars
- Cooperation programme with universities in Middle and Eastern Europe, Russia and China
- Admission and administration office for international students
- International student advising and internships abroad
- Advice on studying abroad and ERASMUS programme coordination
Department Quality Management
Head: Giovanna Putorti
Head: Dr. Katja Barth
- National Funding Team
- EU and International Research Service Center
- Kiel Marine Science (KMS)
- Kiel Life Sciences (KLS) und Geschäftsstelle PMI
- Kiel Nano, Surface and Interface Science (KiNSIS)
- Societal, Environmental, Cultural Change (JMA/SECC)
- Research information system
Department Strategy and Planning
Head: Inga Brandes
Department Human Resources
Head: Martin Palmtag
- Civil servant and appointment affairs
- General matters relating to personnel law and collective agreements
- Post administration and staff budget
- Travel Expenses
Department Facility Management
Head: Dr. Uwe Pfründer
- Strategic construction planning
- Infrastructural facility services
- Property administration, spatial planning, CAFM
- Technical building support
- Technical operation and services
- Occupational security and the environment
- Building maintenance