Bremerskamp framework plan
Kiel University (CAU) and the Federal State of Schleswig-Holstein have big plans. At Bremerskamp, a new city district is being built as part of "Kiel.Science.City" that combines research and work, studying and living, and makes it even more attractive. The preliminary work began in 2022 with the laying of the district heating, and the groundbreaking ceremony for the first new research building at Bremerskamp, the Center for Fundamental Research in Translational Evolutionary Biology (CeTEB), took place at the beginning of 2023.
The development plan was presented to residents and the university public in January 2022 as part of an early public participation process. CeTEB will be followed by other new buildings in the coming years:
- A new biology centre will be built by 2030 with a direct connection to the CeTEB and as a replacement for the existing biology building, which is in serious need of renovation. The first construction phase for this has already been scheduled and funding has been assured by the state.
- In addition, around 550 residential student housing units are being built on Bremerskamp: In Leibnizstraße, the Studentenwerk Schleswig-Holstein is building a hall of residence with 161 residential units by 2026, and 390 residential units for students along Olshausenstraße can be added to this.
- In addition, a new canteen is to be built to replace Mensa II, which is in need of renovation.
- A Computing Centre with an energy centre is also planned in the heart of the district, which will be a key building block for the property energy concept.
- A mobility hub with car parking and bicycle stands is planned, with charging points for e-mobility and services for cyclists.
- The Institute for Federal Real Estate (BImA) is constructing a replacement building for the Max Rubner-Institut (MRI) on the Bremerskamp site in Kiel for federal research.